Wednesday - Vermont - 227 miles

Met everyone at the campground entrance sign at 8:30. Jim was first, followed in a few minutes by Dave and his friend from Toronto, Peter. We let Dave take point to find a good place to eat on 9N, and headed up the road. The first place that came up was an all-you-can-eat pancake place, with dozens of bikes parked outside. I already had my turn signal on, figuring that would be perfect. Dave, on the other hand, just kept rolling up the road. Eventually we came to Bolton Landing, and pulled up to Bagels and Beans.

We had a good breakfast, with lots of good conversation. It was good to see Dave again, and Peter turned out to be good company as well. We talked about RT's, linked brakes, ebay scams, Friday the 13 in Dover, pilots and flying. Dave and Peter wanted to do the scavenger hunt, riding around to different stores in different town collecting garmin stamps, and Jim and I were intent on a longer ride into Vermont. After splitting my coffee (which I thought was tea) amongst the others we went our separate ways.

9N up to Ticonderoga was a nice ride, and at one point we passed a photographer taking roadside pics. He got Jim and I, and Dave and Peter were the next 2 riders by.

Me on 9N




We stopped at on overlook to get some pics, and in just a few minutes Dave and Peter rolled up as well.

Dave and Peter - I think Dave's using the Iron Butt motel at the moment

Jim and his Road King

Me and Jim

As we continued up 9N towards the Crown Point bridge, we soon found ourselves behind a cop car. We watched our speed, and he eventually pulled into a side street, but then he just waited for us to pass and pulled in behind us. He followed us for miles, from just North of Ticonderoga to just before the bridge to Vermont. That was a fun ride - not.

Going over the bridge to Vermont

We followed 17 East, planning on hooking up with Route 100 for a ride south. At one point I was passing a slow-moving car, and during the pass an asshat on a new Concours 14 passes me with both us in the oncoming traffic lane. Never saw him coming, just suddenly zoom! goes a bike on my left. Quickly followed by his buddy on a VFR. The Gold Wing they were riding with passed a bit later. Oddly enough, at the next intersection they were just hanging out on the side of the road and we passed them.

Looking backwards at Jim

As we rose in elevation over the gap the sky was getting darker and darker. Near the top we pulled over, as the sky was looking particularly ominous. I let Jim take the lead, and we followed another bunch of bikes. Within 2 minutes we were in thick cloud cover, and couldn't see more than a few feet in front of us. Flashers on, we took our time negotiating the turns. I couldn't see the road at all, just Jim's flashers. Wherever they went, I went. Eventually we descended out of the fog, but the road was too soaked to really enjoy all the curves. Definitely a road to come to another time.

We hooked up with 100, and started south. Nothing really stands out from that section - empty road, pavement patchy, everything very wet. I passed a sign for Lincoln Gap on the right, which if I remember correctly is only partially paved. Would like to do that road sometime. Passed Moss Glen Falls and had to u-turn to come back to it. Jim didn't see me stop, so I waited for a bit then doubled back to get him. We headed back to the falls to get some pictures and stretch our legs.

Moss Glen Falls, near Hancock, VT

A couple miles later we stopped for gas at the country store, not knowing where else we'd get the chance. One pump, nice old mechanical model. Ran across the street to use the restroom at the 'gift shop'.

The Hancock Country Store gas station

Continued on 100 to 4, then to 149 and back to Lake George. Saw a guy with his tent setup on an entrace ramp. We got a quick lunch at McD's, and made plans to meet up tomorrow morning for more demo rides.

We parted ways at 9, and I headed up to the Forum to check out the TourExpo. Tried on some Lee Parks deerskin gloves - very nice! Only spent maybe 20 minutes in there, then rode over the the Beach for the other half of the vendors. Walked around for a while, not seeing anything too interesting. Talked to the Givi guy for a bit, I might be interested in a topcase in the future.

Words fail me. My son would love it.


Went to the Mobil station on 9N to meet up with Dave and Peter for the Rodeo. Parked in the grass, right behind Peter who had a 'moment' in the grass. Had some really good BBQ chicken, corn, rolls, etc, and talked with Dave and Peter for quite a bit. Canada vs. US, Moxy Fruvous, Two Wheels Through Terror, other good m/c videos and books. We were so deep in conversation we didn't notice we were pretty much the only folks left at the tables and everyone else had headed over to the rodeo.

This was my first time at a rodeo, even though I live 10 minutes away from "the world-famous Cowtown Rodeo in Cowtown, NJ" as they put it. It was....interesting. Starting things off, they laid on the religion and patriotism pretty thick. After listening to what seemed like 5 solid minutes of how great the god-blessed u.s. of a. is, I had to turn to ask Peter (the Canadian) "how do you folks stand us?"


The bareback horse riding was cool, as was the bull riding (only 1 rider lasted the whole 8 seconds) and watching the cowgirls ride fast laps around barrels. The calf-roping I could pass on. I was surpised at how cheesy the atmosphere was, with all the lame banter between the rodeo clown and the mc. The mc kept saying about how serious this was for the cowboys (and girls) competing, and then make the lamest jokes. Very weird. It's also odd watching a sport you don't know the rules of. "That ride was a 72!". OK, out of what? 75? 350?

After the rodeo we rode back to Canada Street and did the scene a bit, and got more Bob's Ice Cream. Saw 2 Honda Runes, a bike I had never seen in person. Dave left his key in his bike the whole time.

Honda Rune, around $25k when new

Loved those old FJ's

Got back to the campground at 10:45. Despite all the rain predictions, and threatening clouds, not a drop fell on us.

This little guy was guarding my campsite. I found him when I got there, so I set him up to help not trip over the line.

My kickstand plate. Dug a nice hole to sink the rock into.